Sunday 22 April 2018

THE ESSENCE OF CHRISTIANITY

THE ESSENCE OF CHRISTIANITY 

1 John 2:5-6 MSG
But the one who keeps God's word is the person in whom we see God's mature love. This is the only way to be sure we're in God. Anyone who claims to be intimate with God ought to live the same kind of life Jesus lived.

Romans 8:29 MSG
God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him.

The goal of the redemption is to reproduce a people who are like Jesus Christ. The goal is not prosperity. That’s a benefit. All the blessings of God are simply benefits. If we make the main thing, the main thing everything else will fall in place. 

This was Paul’s obsession. He focused on raising men and women who embodied and exemplified the visions, values and the virtues seen in the life of Jesus Christ. That is the Father’s dream; to see the Character of Christ reproduced in us. The character of Christ is embodied in the fruit of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness and Temperance. We ought to live the way that Jesus lived. That’s authentic Christianity. 

Paul’s personal testimony revealed his understanding of the words of Jesus in Luke 6:39-40, it reads thus, “And He spoke a parable to them: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.” (Luke 6:39-40 NKJV) This means that Jesus Christ our Lord wanted His disciples to be like Him.

In His words recorded in Saint John’s Gospel, Jesus said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.” (John 14:12 NKJV). In the New Living Translation, it reads thus,
“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.” (John 14:12 NLT) The Message Translation emphasizes it more strongly by saying, “The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it.” (John 14:12 MSG) Authentic Christianity is God doing the same works He did in Jesus Christ through you. It is the works of Christ reproduced in us. God wants to heal through you. He wants to do mighty works through us. See Mark 16:17-18; John 14:12-14.

Authentic Christianity is the Life, the Love and the Power of God revealed through us. Christianity is the Character, Charisma and the Compassion of Christ revealed through us. Christ should be seen in us and through us. Don’t settle for less. Christ didn’t die to make us orators. He died to make us like Him. Yes like Him in every sense of the Word. See Ephesians 4:15.

Furthermore, we read the testimony of the Apostle Paul recorded in Galatians 1:15-16 NKJV which says, “But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood.”

Paul understood that Christianity is Christ revealed through the human person. That was why he said, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” Christ in you empowers you to be, do or have all that God has ordained for you to be, do or have. Once again Paul says, “Christ in you is the hope of glory.” God wants to reveal His Son through you. That’s the essence of Christianity. Selah 

To be continued....

0 comments:

Follow us on twitter

NEW VISION